You are here
Skeleton God: An Inspector Shan Tao Yun Mystery (Hardcover)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 9 in the Inspector Shan Tao Yun series.
- #1: The Skull Mantra (Inspector Shan Tao Yun #1) (Paperback): $18.99
- #2: Water Touching Stone (Inspector Shan Tao Yun #2) (Paperback): $23.99
- #3: Bone Mountain: A Novel (Inspector Shan Tao Yun #3) (Paperback): $26.99
- #4: Beautiful Ghosts: A Novel (Inspector Shan Tao Yun #4) (Paperback): $22.99
- #5: Prayer of the Dragon: An Inspector Shan Investigation set in Tibet (Inspector Shan Tao Yun #5) (Paperback): $16.95
- #6: The Lord of Death: An Inspector Shan Investigation set in Tibet (Inspector Shan Tao Yun #6) (Paperback): $16.95
- #7: Mandarin Gate (Inspector Shan Tao Yun #7) (Paperback): Email or call for price
- #8: Soul of the Fire: A Mystery (Inspector Shan Tao Yun #8) (Paperback): $15.99
- #10: Bones of the Earth: An Inspector Shan Tao Yun Mystery (Hardcover): $27.99
In Eliot Pattison's Skeleton God, Shan Tao Yun, now the reluctant constable of a remote Tibetan town, has learned to expect the impossible at the roof of the world, but nothing has prepared him for his discovery when he investigates a report that a nun has been savagely assaulted by ghosts. In an ancient tomb by the old nun lies a gilded saint buried centuries earlier, flanked by the remains of a Chinese soldier killed fifty years before and an American man murdered only hours earlier. Shan is thrust into a maelstrom of intrigue and contradiction.
The Tibetans are terrified, the notorious Public Security Bureau wants nothing to do with the murders, and the army seems determined to just bury the dead again and Shan with them. No one wants to pursue the truth–except Shan, who finds himself in a violent collision between a heartbreaking, clandestine effort to reunite refugees from Tibet separated for decades and a covert corruption investigation that reaches to the top levels of the government in Beijing, China. The terrible secret Shan uncovers changes his town and his life forever.
About the Author
Eliot Pattison is the author of The Skull Mantra, which won the Edgar Award and was a finalist for the Gold Dagger, as well Water Touching Stone and Bone Mountain. Pattison is a world traveler and frequent visitor to China, and his numerous books and articles on international policy issues have been published around the world.
"Edgar-winner Pattison remains without peer at integrating a fair-play whodunit into a searing portrayal of life under an oppressive and capricious regime. Even readers unfamiliar with the physical and cultural devastation China has wrought in Tibet will find themselves engrossed—and moved—by Pattison’s nuanced portrayal."—Publishers Weekly (starred boxed review)
"Pattison's ninth installment provides an important history lesson little understood in the West with authority, nuance, and genuine suspense."—Kirkus reviews